Serves: 4-6 people
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
For the nut roast…
1 butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded large dice
2 aubergines, halved
A drizzle of olive oil
250g pack cooked Pilau rice
4 spring onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
50g dried apricots, roughly chopped
50g pistachio nut
50g blanched almonds
50g dried cranberries
1 400g tin chickpeas including juice
1 pomegranate, seeds removed
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
Salt and pepper
25g Pomegranate seeds
10g Mint leaves
25g Pistachio nuts
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C (fan)/400F/gas mark 6.
2. Line a 2lb loaf tin with baking paper.
3. Place the diced squash and aubergine halves onto a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 25 minutes or until soft. Lightly mash the squash with a fork and set to one side to cool slightly.
4. Scoop the flesh from the roasted aubergine and place into a mixing bowl. Add the squash and the remaining ingredients to the mixing bowl, stir well to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Pack the mix into the lined loaf tin and bake in a pre-heated oven for 1 hour.
6. Remove and allow to set for 5 minutes before removing from the tin.
7. Place on a serving platter and garnish with extra pomegranate seeds, mint, coriander and pistachio nuts.
Chefs Tip – This dish is just as tasty eaten cold. Place in the fridge and use 2 tins to press the nut roast, this will help when slicing the roast.