Many people feel insecure, uncomfortable and stressed when driving – and this is especially the case during difficult weather conditions such as rain or mist, as well in low-light conditions such as at dusk or at night.
On average, 83% of spectacle lens wearers are also drivers, and whilst driving can be a real challenge for anybody – no matter how long the distance we’re travelling – good vision is always essential for safety.
In market research studies with consumers, lens manufacturer Zeiss identified the three most common visual challenges for spectacle wearers when driving:
1) Poor visibility in low-light conditions such as rain, dusk or at night
2) Glare from oncoming cars at night and dazzle from wet roads
3) Difficulty in refocusing when the eyes switch between the road and dashboard
To deal with these issues, Zeiss developed an everyday lens solution consisting of three elements that make driving safer and more comfortable:
1) Zeiss Luminance Design Technology which takes into account the pupil size in low-light conditions
2) Zeiss DuraVision DriveSafe coating to reduce perceived glare by up to 64%
3) Zeiss DriveSafe Lenses which have a design incorporating a mid-distance zone that is 43% larger for easier focus when switching between dashboard and mirrors. It also has a far-distance visual zone that is up to 14% larger for a wider view of the road.
To verify that the Zeiss DriveSafe Lenses fully meet patient expectations, the company conducted real-life user trials, which provided feedback suggesting that 97% of wearers were satisfied whilst driving, and 94% of wearers were satisfied during everyday tasks (eg: office work).
Zeiss says its DriveSafe Lenses hail the introduction of a new lens product category for daily use. This is specifically designed to meet the visual needs of wearers, who want to feel safer and more comfortable when driving with their everyday lenses.
Zeiss DriveSafe Lenses are available now to customers of Clare & Illingworth Opticians in Wilmslow and Knutsford.
Richard Clare commented: “At Clare & Illingworth, we think its really important that our patients leave the practice with the very best advice to help them see clearly when they’re out and about.
“With dark nights drawing in – and the clocks going back at the end of the month – it’s also really important to consider how your vision might be affected if you don’t have the right kind of eyewear.
“Our team can advise on the best solution for you – but we’d absolutely recommend the Zeiss DriveSafe coating for anyone who feels like they can’t detect objects quickly enough when driving in low-light conditions, and for anyone who is disturbed by glare from oncoming cars at night.
“This technology will also help if you have problems refocusing when looking from the road to the dashboard or your mirrors – so it is a really valuable safety feature of our eyewear and it can be applied to almost all types of lenses we stock.”
For more information on products available, please visit www.theoptometrist.com or call one of their two local practices:
Wilmslow – 01625 530 498
Knutsford – 01565 632 066