Crewe Passion Play 2019

17 April, 2019


Utkinton and Cotebrook to honour WW1 horsemen


Five horsemen, dressed in WW1 uniform, will attend Utkinton and Cotebrook’s Remembrance Sunday event this weekend.

World War 1 soldiers on horseback will take part in Utkinton and Cotebrook’s Remembrance Day commemorations at the village’s war memorial, situated in the hills above Tarporley.

Several accomplished local horsemen were amongst the nine soldiers lost by the two neighbouring Cheshire villages during The Great War.

Amongst them was gunner John Warburton (pictured below), from Quarry Bank Farm in Utkinton, who was killed in a gas attack in France in 1917, aged just 20.




Sunday’s commemoration is one of two significant Remembrance events taking place in Utkinton.

On Tuesday 13th November, a hand-crafted ‘Roll of Honour’ featuring the names of the men of Utkinton and Cotebrook who went to both world wars and didn’t come home, will be unveiled by local philanthropists Alexis and Phil Redmond.

Alexis, the current High Sheriff of Cheshire, and Phil, acclaimed TV writer of Grange Hill and Brookside, have kindly donated money to enable the roll board’s creation.

The popular couple live at Tirley Garth – a local estate and country house with strong links to the local community going back over 100 years.

The board was created by a local craftsman at ‘Cheshire Brush’ and features gold-leaf lettering plus nine original WW1 cap badges set on a highly-polished light oak background.

Francis Tunney, chairman of Utkinton and Cotebrook Parish Council, commented: “We are so proud that our two communities will be honouring our war dead in such a significant and poignant way.

“We had one horseman at our 2014 Remembrance event, but to have five attending in full military dress on Sunday will be a stunning spectacle.”

Francis added: “We are also incredibly grateful to Alexis and Phil Redmond, who are always so supportive of Utkinton and Cotebrook.

“It’s very apt that they have helped us create our new roll of honour board as their home – Tirley Garth – had strong links to the original stone that was originally donated by Mrs Prestwich (wife of the owner of Tirley Garth in early 1918).”


Leave a reply